Friday, July 1, 2016

It's been awhile/halfway through 2016?!?!

This is my comeback post ;-)

Life has been CRAZY this Spring (well now it's summer but I'll get there) and I forgot to post for a couple weeks, raced 2 5k's 2 days in a row and then got super sick (just general exhaustion!) so now I'm feeling like a beginner runner all over again.

So here go my race reports, as best as I can remember, from the other week & a brief training update, since I haven't posted workouts since mid-May!

On June 9th, I ran the Bud Murphy's Autism 5k in Connellsville, PA. I had Katie & Christina come watch and bribed them with drinks and apps at Bud's afterwards. It was a small, local 5k and was a great event! Probably 100 people ran or walked and the money raised went to the Autism program at the local hospital (which I am all about supporting!). They had lots of prizes and a raffle and food and ice cream as well. It was a Thursday night race, which is always kind of fun but it ended up being a pretty hot day! The race was hilly (I should have known--it is Western PA) and I saw a few locals that I knew would make it pretty competitive, which is fun. I was pretty anxious, because I don't feel like I've been in racing shape all year yet! I know I have no one to blame but myself. I started off VERY strong--like what is going on strong. I looked down at my watch and I was at a 6:56 pace! I knew I needed to dial it back in order to finish strong. The hills started up on the second mile and my pace took a huge hit--I ran walked a bit and poured water on my head (I know it's only 3.1 miles but it was HOT! and in the evening!) and finished at a 8:50 pace in 27:40. I got third in my AG but of course they only gave prizes away to the first 2. I know I could've caught the girl in front of me if my nutrition and hydration had been on point! This was the first race I've run since finding out I have asthma and I think it's a mental thing but I was REALLY struggling with my breathing towards the end! I know I need to break out of my comfort zone and PUSH myself--they are supposed to be hard! Anyway I had fun and enjoyed a good night with my girl's.

Friday night, June 10th, I ran the Riverview Park 5k in Pittsburgh. It's a new park to me, a small-ish race, was on my way home from work, and all of the money benefited the maintenance of the park--SOLD! I was a bit tired just from a busy week but had learned my lesson from the night before and ate "dinner" at like 4pm (instead of 5:30/6 like the day before--not enough time to digest with all the nerves of racing!). Anyway I arrived and got my bib and swag and stretched out/did a dynamic warm up. I had NO idea what was in store with the course but it was an exciting atmosphere and I loved the saxophone playing the national anthem before the start! The first mile had a short hill and then leveled out. I was at an 8:40 pace and was feeling good. Around .8 miles in, the course went straight downhill!! I LOVE downhill running! I think a lot of people get freaked out and take it slowly but I love to speed past people! I would totally run this race again for this reason alone! My second mile was a 7:25 and I was flying. At around 2.2, I looked up and saw a MOUNTAIN (no joke at all) and walked/ran as much as I can. I wish the rest of the course were flat because I KNOW I could've gotten a PR. Mentally, I just wasn't tough enough to push my pace up that huge hill (it literally finished uphill) and I ended up finishing in 26:50. I got 2nd in my age group and this time I got a medal.

Overall I enjoyed both races and am glad I did them! I ended up getting sick the next day from exhaustion and fighting a fever for the next 3-4 days. I ended up taking a solid 9 days off of running and now I am starting from scratch but am SO glad that I listened to my body and rested up. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment